IS TIME AN ILLUSION?
Pentcho Valev
2009-12-02 10:30:00 UTC
An oversimplified but still valid argument:

If the speed of light does not depend on the speed of the light
source, that is, if Einstein's 1905 light postulate is true, then time
is an illusion and people should procrusteanize their intuition
accordingly:

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june232009/einstein_lessons_dj_6-22-09.php
"For those of us who believe in physics, this separation between past,
present and future is only an illusion, however tenacious" - Albert
Einstein

http://www.geekitude.com/gl/public_html/article.php?story=20050422141509987
Brian Greene: "I certainly got very used to the idea of relativity,
and therefore I can go into that frame of mind without it seeming like
an effort. But I feel and think about the world as being organized
into past, present and future. I feel that the only moment in time
that's really real is this moment right now. And I feel [that what
happened a few moments ago] is gone, and the future is yet to be. It
still feels right to me. But I know in my mind intellectually that's
wrong. Relativity establishes that that picture of the universe is
wrong, and if I work hard, I can force myself to recognize the fallacy
in my view or thinking; but intuitively it's still what I feel. So
it's a daily struggle to keep in mind how the world works, and
juxtapose that with experience that [I get] a thousand, even million
times a day from ordinary comings and goings."

http://www.evene.fr/celebre/actualite/2005-annee-einstein-114.php
"Les articles parus en 1905 dans la revue 'Annalen der Physik'
révolutionnent non seulement le petit monde de la physique, mais aussi
la perception commune de grands concepts tels que le temps, l'espace
ou la matière. Enfinils auraient dû car si les théories einsteiniennes
sont aujourd'hui admises et célébrées partout dans le monde
scientifique, si une grande partie de la recherche fondamentale a pour
objectif de les développer, le commun des mortels continue cependant à
parler du temps, de lespace, et de la matière comme il le faisait au
XIXème siècle. C'est ce que déplore Thibault Damour, physicien et
auteur dun ouvrage passionnant intitulé 'Si Einstein métait conté',
dans lequel il dresse un portrait scientifique du prix Nobel. "Loin
davoir été assimilées par tout un chacun", écrit-il, "les révolutions
einsteiniennes sont simplement ignorées." Car les découvertes dont on
parle dépassent de très loin - comme souvent - les préoccupations
purement scentifiques. Il est, de fait, encore extrêmement complexe et
ardu de comprendre la notion de temps non pas comme un flux, un
absolu, mais comme un relatif, pouvant ralentir selon la vitesse de
lobservateur."

If time is not an illusion, as the philosopher of science John Norton
suggests, then the speed of light does depend on the speed of the
light source, that is, Einstein's 1905 light postulate is false:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026831.500-what-makes-the-universe-tick.html
"General relativity knits together space, time and gravity.
Confounding all common sense, how time passes in Einstein's universe
depends on what you are doing and where you are. Clocks run faster
when the pull of gravity is weaker, so if you live up a skyscraper you
age ever so slightly faster than you would if you lived on the ground
floor, where Earth's gravitational tug is stronger. "General
relativity completely changed our understanding of time," says Carlo
Rovelli, a theoretical physicist at the University of the
Mediterranean in Marseille, France.....It is still not clear who is
right, says John Norton, a philosopher based at the University of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Norton is hesitant to express it, but his
instinct - and the consensus in physics - seems to be that space and
time exist on their own. The trouble with this idea, though, is that
it doesn't sit well with relativity, which describes space-time as a
malleable fabric whose geometry can be changed by the gravity of
stars, planets and matter."

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/Goodies/passage/index.html
John Norton, 1 Mar 2009: "A common belief among philosophers of
physics is that the passage of time of ordinary experience is merely
an illusion. The idea is seductive since it explains away the awkward
fact that our best physical theories of space and time have yet to
capture this passage. I urge that we should resist the idea. We know
what illusions are like and how to detect them. Passage exhibits no
sign of being an illusion....Following from the work of Einstein,
Minkowski and many more, physics has given a wonderfully powerful
conception of space and time. Relativity theory, in its most
perspicacious form, melds space and time together to form a four-
dimensional spacetime. The study of motion in space and and all other
processes that unfold in them merely reduce to the study of an odd
sort of geometry that prevails in spacetime. In many ways, time turns
out to be just like space. In this spacetime geometry, there are
differences between space and time. But a difference that somehow
captures the passage of time is not to be found. There is no passage
of time. There are temporal orderings. We can identify earlier and
later stages of temporal processes and everything in between. What we
cannot find is a passing of those stages that recapitulates the
presentation of the successive moments to our consciousness, all
centered on the one preferred moment of "now." At first, that seems
like an extraordinary lacuna. It is, it would seem, a failure of our
best physical theories of time to capture one of time's most important
properties. However the longer one works with the physics, the less
worrisome it becomes....I was, I confess, a happy and contented
believer that passage is an illusion. It did bother me a little that
we seemed to have no idea of just how the news of the moments of time
gets to be rationed to consciousness in such rigid doses.....Now
consider the passage of time. Is there a comparable reason in the
known physics of space and time to dismiss it as an illusion? I know
of none. The only stimulus is a negative one. We don't find passage in
our present theories and we would like to preserve the vanity that our
physical theories of time have captured all the important facts of
time. So we protect our vanity by the stratagem of dismissing passage
as an illusion."

Pentcho Valev
***@yahoo.com
Uncle Al
2009-12-02 16:05:52 UTC
idiot alert
Post by Pentcho Valev
If the speed of light does not depend on the speed of the light
source, that is, if Einstein's 1905 light postulate is true, then time
is an illusion and people should procrusteanize their intuition
1) Lorentz invariance
2) Relativistic effects on orbital clocks

<http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2002/paper20.pdf>
Nature 425 374 (2003)
http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/projecta.pdf
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~rjjacob/Lecture16.pdf>
<http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2003-1/index.html>
Relativity in the GPS system
<http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2003-1&page=node5.html>
<http://unusedcycles.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/physics-of-gps-relativistic-time-delay/>

3) idiot
--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz4.htm
Pentcho Valev
2009-12-03 14:28:18 UTC
Another version of essentially the same argument:

If the speed of light does not depend on the speed of the light
source, that is, if Einstein's 1905 light postulate is true, then a
long train can be trapped inside a short tunnel, a 80m long pole can
be trapped inside a 40m long barn and a bug can be both dead and
alive:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/barn_pole.html
"These are the props. You own a barn, 40m long, with automatic doors
at either end, that can be opened and closed simultaneously by a
switch. You also have a pole, 80m long, which of course won't fit in
the barn. Now someone takes the pole and tries to run (at nearly the
speed of light) through the barn with the pole horizontal. Special
Relativity (SR) says that a moving object is contracted in the
direction of motion: this is called the Lorentz Contraction. So, if
the pole is set in motion lengthwise, then it will contract in the
reference frame of a stationary observer.....So, as the pole passes
through the barn, there is an instant when it is completely within the
barn. At that instant, you close both doors simultaneously, with your
switch. Of course, you open them again pretty quickly, but at least
momentarily you had the contracted pole shut up in your barn. The
runner emerges from the far door unscathed.....If the doors are kept
shut the rod will obviously smash into the barn door at one end. If
the door withstands this the leading end of the rod will come to rest
in the frame of reference of the stationary observer. There can be no
such thing as a rigid rod in relativity so the trailing end will not
stop immediately and the rod will be compressed beyond the amount it
was Lorentz contracted. If it does not explode under the strain and it
is sufficiently elastic it will come to rest and start to spring back
to its natural shape but since it is too big for the barn the other
end is now going to crash into the back door and the rod will be
trapped in a compressed state inside the barn."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/Relativ/bugrivet.html
"The bug-rivet paradox is a variation on the twin paradox and is
similar to the pole-barn paradox.....The end of the rivet hits the
bottom of the hole before the head of the rivet hits the wall. So it
looks like the bug is squashed.....All this is nonsense from the bug's
point of view. The rivet head hits the wall when the rivet end is just
0.35 cm down in the hole! The rivet doesn't get close to the
bug....The paradox is not resolved."

If the long train cannot be trapped inside the short tunnel, if the
80m long pole cannot be trapped inside the 40m long barn and if the
bug cannot be both dead and alive, then the speed of light does depend

***@yahoo.com
Uncle Al
2009-12-03 18:01:46 UTC
Post by Pentcho Valev
If the speed of light does not depend on the speed of the light
source, that is, if Einstein's 1905 light postulate is true, then a
long train can be trapped inside a short tunnel, a 80m long pole can
be trapped inside a 40m long barn and a bug can be both dead and
1) Depends on who is observing;
2) Terrell rotation, you ineducable wretch;
3) GR is h=0, not QFT h=h;
4) idiot
jdawe
2009-12-03 01:11:55 UTC
Post by Pentcho Valev
[...]
It is a valid question because time is not energy.

In other words time is not light.

Physical attraction or physical repulsion naturally physically attracts
\repulses physical light ( energy ). But many people confuse this
'bending' ( attracting\repulsing ) of energy as the bending of non-
physical time.

-Josh.
Uncle Al
2009-12-03 02:16:59 UTC
jdawe wrote:
[snip crap]
Post by jdawe
Physical attraction or physical repulsion naturally physically attracts
\repulses physical light ( energy ).
[snip rest of crap]

idiot
Uncle Al